turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amar_vlsi

I got a Notice of tax change from state of California. error adjustment codes gave as GC , 15.

I have two w2's from same company, due to change in payroll processing vendor. they have considered only one w2, other one they considered as error.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I got a Notice of tax change from state of California. error adjustment codes gave as GC , 15.

I've had 2 clients with this situation this year.  You need to write a simple letter (include your name, SSNs and the notice number on that letter), stating that you disagree with their findings.  Send that, with the notice and copies of both W-2's and fax it to the number shown on the notice.

FTB is attempting to match up W-2 withholding shown on the tax return with the quarterly EDD reporting he employer does....I think 4th quarter reports haven't all been recorded yet through EDD so the annual total isn't showing in the FTB records,  causing a mismatch.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Bees
Level 7

did that make you go over the social security limit?
Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.
Bees
Level 7

That notice number just means they will not direct deposit your amount but will send out a check. If you think that having two W-2's is the error you should contact them to straighten it out. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.ftb.ca.gov/aboutFTB/contact.shtml">https://www.ftb.ca.gov/aboutFTB/contact.shtml</a>
 Unless it made you go over the social security withholding limit that should not have created a problem.
Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

I've had 2 clients with this situation this year.  You need to write a simple letter (include your name, SSNs and the notice number on that letter), stating that you disagree with their findings.  Send that, with the notice and copies of both W-2's and fax it to the number shown on the notice.

FTB is attempting to match up W-2 withholding shown on the tax return with the quarterly EDD reporting he employer does....I think 4th quarter reports haven't all been recorded yet through EDD so the annual total isn't showing in the FTB records,  causing a mismatch.
amar_vlsi

Thanks Lisa, as suggested will write letter and attach required documents.

I have been told recently that by calling the phone number in the notice, you may be able to clear it up quicker...if you can get through to someone at the number they give you.

I posted the info below on an other similar question. I used the chat feature it worked like a charm for me.

I did not have an account on their web site, so I had to wait about 5 days to get a PIN (via USPS mail) to complete my account, before I could go further. Once I confirmed the account with the PIN I was able to use the chat, during business hours only.

After a 20min waiting time, I was connected to an operator. After few verifications, the operator asked if I was in position to upload my W2s within the next 5min. I did the upload, the operator checked the numbers and cleared my account.

Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies