Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >

alexander-rennie

I freelance in California for a NY company. I complete a Federal and a CA state tax return when I did my taxes. Did I need to do a NY return as well?

I am a full-time resident of CA, and freelance-1099-for two NY-based companies. Do I need to amend my return if I forgot to do a NY state return? Is there a special form for that?
pk

@alexander-rennie , generally  the income is earned where the work is performed ( absent any agreements  to the contrary ).  Thus  because you performed the work in CA, the income is CA sourced  for tax purposes.  You have to pay Federal and CA taxes on the income.  Not to  NY.   But please look at your contract  -- that may dictate  complications .

Is there more I can do for you ?

pk

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-_~