Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

grit2016

I failed to stop my GA state tax deduction when I moved to IL. The GA deduction is shown on my 1099-R. Should I report it and how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I failed to stop my GA state tax deduction when I moved to IL. The GA deduction is shown on my 1099-R. Should I report it and how?

Yes--you enter your 1099R just as it appears.  If you want to seek a refund of GA tax that was withheld from your retirmement income you will need to file a non -resident  (or part year) return for GA.   You do not mention when you moved from GA to IL so it is unclear whether you need to fill as non-resident or part year.  The good news is that IL does not tax retirement income so you will not need to withhold IL tax from future distributions.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Do you mean GA state tax withholding? If so, yes contact your retirement administrator and change your state to your current one. You'll need to file a nonresident GA state tax return to receive a refund of those taxes withheld.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But also, the prior point about when you moved to IL is important...IF you moved to IL sometime during 2023, then you need to file Part-Year GA,and part-year IL, tax returns...and the portion of your retirement income you received before moving to IL is still potentially taxable income for GA.   

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies