Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jenanna1709
Returning Member

I didnt have any taxable income for 2019, but am getting the k12 credit. I had to send in a federal form but is federal "filed" or just the state?

It said I had to file by mail since I couldn't file a federal form with no income. Yet I had paper work to still sign and turn in, with nothing in the boxes.
I'm waiting for my stimulus check, and I guess it can be delayed because the irs hasn't fully processed a federal return. It didn't say anything about state return. Would my federal still have to be "filed"? Even with no income.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

I didnt have any taxable income for 2019, but am getting the k12 credit. I had to send in a federal form but is federal "filed" or just the state?

If you had no income to report on your tax return, then you would not need to file a return.  If you did already file your Federal return by mail, then you would also have needed to file your state return by mail in order for it to have been considered 'filed'. 

However, based on your statement about not having any income to report, neither return was likely to be required.  If you were filing the return simply to qualify for the stimulus payment, but you would not normally file a return at all, then you can use one of the non-filer options to register for the stimulus payment. 

Even if you already mailed your zero-income return to the IRS, it is not likely that it has been processed yet since they are not processing mailed returns at this time.  Therefore, to trigger your stimulus payment, you can either use the TurboTax registration tool for non-filers (people not required to file a tax return) or register your information on the IRS site for non-filers.  You can choose which one to use, but do not do both.

Here is the link for the TurboTax registration for non-filers.  Scroll down the page and click the orange Register Now button:  Register Now

Here is the link for the IRS registration for non-filers.  Click the blue Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here button:  Non-Filers Registration

Take a look at the following TurboTax article to help you decide if you need to file your return: 

Do I need to file a Federal return this year?

@jenanna1709

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jenanna1709
Returning Member

What about state returns? Have those been put on hold as well? Or just federal?

The states are processing state returns.  The IRS is backlogged thanks to having to process millions of tax returns and millions of stimulus checks at the same time during a pandemic.  The states do not have to deal with stimulus checks.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jenanna1709
Returning Member

I went to the irs

to enter my information and I get this error message 

Screenshot_20200504-094248_Gmail.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies