muffyginger

I didn't pay out of state tax in Alabama do i need to file a state return for that state.

I understand that I will have to file a resident state tax for Utah, but to file for a second state.  Especially one in which no tax was reported in box 17.

MichaelL1

If you have no income or taxes withheld from AL then no AL return would be due.

In the Personal Information section, it will ask if you earned income in any other states.  If you said yes, and entered AL, the program will prompt you to do an AL return.

Go back and EDIT the Personal Information section and see how you answered that question. 

MichaelL1