mistihoward

I am having trouble with my state taxes. I work in DC and lived in DC until 12/2/16 during that period DC state taxes were taken out. Then I moved to VA and VA state ta

cont.  VA state taxes were taken out.  On my VA portion it keeps saying 0 I feel this isn't correct and don't want to be penalized.

TomD8

Only your earnings from 12/2 to 12/31/16 would be taxable by Virginia.  If those earnings were below threshold, you don't have to file a VA tax return.  Here are VA's filing thresholds for a part-year resident (VAGI = Virginia Adjusted Gross Income):

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FILE IF YOU ARE:

Single and your VAGI is less than ..................$11,950

Married filing with your spouse  on the same return and your  combined VAGI is less than ............................$23,900

Married filing separately (on separate  forms) and your VAGI is less than ..................$11,950

If your VA earnings were below threshold, the only reason for you to file a VA return would be to get a refund of any withheld VA taxes.  But you would not be required to file.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

TomD8

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FILE IF YOU ARE: