Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am exempt from paying federal Income tax on my USPS salary? I am a bonafide resident of Puerto Rico and pay Taxes on my USPS Salary on the Puerto Rico Tax return.

I live and work in Puerto Rico
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I am exempt from paying federal Income tax on my USPS salary? I am a bonafide resident of Puerto Rico and pay Taxes on my USPS Salary on the Puerto Rico Tax return.

You need to file a Puerto Rico return, which is not supported in TurboTax.  Please see this website:  Departamento de Hacienda de Puerto Rico

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the time and answer. I do file the Puerto Rico Tax return, but I need to file the US tax return to get back the amount retained from my paycheck towards income tax. Thats the part I need more info. (what to select) in the turbo tax return.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Some Puerto Rico residents pay U.S. federal income taxes. Residents falling within the following categories must pay tax on their income to the United States federal government, via the Internal Revenue Service:

Puerto Rico residents who:

• work for the federal government such as US Post Office employees, and federal agents of any of the federal executive and judicial branches located in Puerto Rico

Reference:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Puerto_Rico#:~:text=Puerto%20Rico%20is%20an%20unincorporat....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies