dondelwarb

I am a resident of Michigan. I earned money while staying in Ohio in 2020. Columbus city tax was taken out, do I have to file a Columbus city return?

Hal_Al

Q. Do I have to file a Columbus city return?

A.  No, but you may want to. See below*.   The only time a non resident is required to file a city return is when an improper amount was withheld and that is very rare.

Although MI & OH have a reciprocity agreement on state taxes, that agreement does not apply to city tax.  Columbus is allowed to withhold from your pay and you cannot get that refunded.  

*But, Michigan will give you credit for that on the state return, but you have to attach a copy of the city return. So, even though the Ohio city does not require you to file a return, you have to file one to get the MI credit, even though there will be no tax due or refunded from the Ohio city.  

Columbus forms (you want IR-25) https://www.columbus.gov/IncomeTaxDivision/TaxForms/Individuals/

LenaH

Yes. Per the State of Ohio, non-residents who work or conduct business in Columbus owe 2.5% tax on the income they earn in Columbus and must file IR-25. Although Michigan and Ohio have a reciprocal agreement on wages, it does not include city returns.

dondelwarb

Thank you for your reply. My Ohio employer did take the 2.5% out of my check and report it on my W2's. I was wondering if I also needed to file some sort of paperwork. Do you know if I am supposed to and where I can get the forms?

LenaH

It depends. Per the City of Columbus, you have to consider four things when deciding whether or not you have to file a city income tax return. Although the answer to the question 2, 3 and 4 below indicate that you do not have to file a Columbus return, I am not sure about question 1. 

1. Did I file a previous year return in which additional tax was due?

2. Am I a resident of the City of Columbus or a non-resident working in Columbus? Yes

3. Was less than 2.5% of my total wages withheld for city tax? No

4. Did I have other earnings from which city tax totaling at least 2.5% was not withheld? No

If you answered "yes" to question 1 you are required to file a return.   

Unfortunately, TurboTax does not support the filing of Columbus, Ohio city tax.

@dondelwarb

dondelwarb

Thank you very much. That answers my question. I appreciate your help!

Hal_Al

dondelwarb

Thank you very much. I did already file my Michigan return. I guess I am wondering if I can amend it with the city return.

DianeW777

Yes, you can amend the Michigan (MI) return if you did not take the credit as indicated by @Hal_Al.

When you are in the MI return, you will see the screen images when you get to the screen labeled: Take a look at Michigan credits and taxes

In the MI return, when you get to the screen A few things before we wrap up your state taxes, you can select to amend your state return. See the images below.

dondelwarb

Thanks again for all your very good help in this situation.