Solved: I am a full time college student and my permanent residence is in PA. Given that there is reciprocity, must I file a NJ state income tax form if my refund from my summer job in NJ is 0?

I am a full time college student and my permanent residence is in PA. Given that there is reciprocity, must I file a NJ state income tax form if my refund from my summer job in NJ is 0?

No given the reciprocity between NJ and PA no return is required to be filed for NJ.  

You are correct. 

The only reason would have been to get a refund, which you said you have none. 

You are correct. 

Thank-you, Michael.  I also had a part-time job in California where I go to college, and they also withheld no state tax, must I file a state tax form for California?

You are a nonresident

You have both of the following:

California source income.
Income from all sources that is more than the amount defined in this chart.  Which starts at $16,597 (so if the part time job is less, than NO CA return required).  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/fileRtn/">https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/fileRtn/</a>

Thank-you again.  OK, so according to TurboTax, I will owe PA $182.00 even though my total income from NJ and PA is less than $6,000.  Does that seem accurate?

f your income range is $0 and over, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 3.07%.  Take a look at this link:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouthtmls/swzl_statetaxrate_PA.html">http://swz.salary.com/sala...>

Dear Michael, you're being very helpful.  One last question (I hope!), I am a single dependent of my parents, so unless I misread the Cali source income chart incorrectly, it says I have to file if I make more than my standard deduction, which the chart you referred me to says is over $1,050.  So, I do have to file California??

Yes, you are correct, I overlooked you being a dependent on another return.  I am sure you are a great college student as reading tax rules, can be like reading greek at times.  Sorry for the slip-up. Do the non-resident CA after the Federal and PA will give you a credit for taxes paid to another state (CA).

Thanks again.