florentcla

I am a CA resident and will be starting a new Job for a company based out of MA, as a remote worker. The company is registered in Delaware. Will I be double taxed?

Since there are 3 states involved, I am not quite sure how the state taxes are going to work. 

Delaware = where the company is registered

Massachusetts = where they are headquartered 

California = where I will be working. 

Thanks for the help of the community!

Since you are living and working in California then your employer should only be withholding CA state income taxes from your wages, no other state withholding.  You will need to provide to the employer the CA state Form DE-4 for the state withholding - http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de4.pdf

See this answer on a related question here - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3384327-do-i-need-to-still-pay-mass-taxes-being-a-full-time-teleco...

Some states have a “first day” rule, which means if you set foot in a state you don't live in and work there for one day, you owe that state income tax. Massachusetts is one of those.
Rick23slash

Hello there, I have have the following situation and was hoping to get some guidance on your expertise. I live and work in California, the employer is based out of Utah so when I entered the W-2 information, the Utah state balance due was populated. I thought I get taxed depending on residency and work state only.

Thank you,

Ricardo

TomD8

@Rick23slash  --  If you never physically worked in Utah, your work income is not taxable by Utah.  However, if your employer mistakenly withheld UT taxes, you'd have to file a non-resident UT return, showing zero UT income, in order to obtain a refund of those taxes.

If your W-2 showed UT withholdings, those fields would populate in TT.

Your income is of course entirely taxable by your resident state of CA, regardless of where you earn it.

If you never actually (physically) work in Utah, you should request your employer to cease withholding UT state taxes, and to withhold CA taxes instead.  If your employer will not or cannot withhold CA taxes, you should instead make quarterly estimated tax payments to CA.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Rick23slash

That makes sense. Thank you very much for the help!

Thanks,

Ricardo