Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

green-two

Husband moved from PA to NJ to live with me, we are filing jointly but husband's total income is being incorrectly included as NJ taxes.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Husband moved from PA to NJ to live with me, we are filing jointly but husband's total income is being incorrectly included as NJ taxes.

You are correct.  This is the way how NJ figures tax for a part-year resident:  they calculate what your tax would be on all of your income, and then tax you based on the amount of income earned there.  You have the extra twist of the PA/NJ reciprocal agreement, but it does not really change the basic principle (and makes your taxes simpler for next year).

What happens is this:  let's say your husband earned 60,000 overall, with 10,000 coming after he moved to NJ.  NJ uses the 60,000 to determine how much tax they assess, and then they charge 1/6 of that amount (since 1/6 of your husband's income is earned in NJ).  This is in essence what should be reflected.  The amounts are not removed from the return, but you can be assured that NJ is not taxing the income he earned while he was a PA resident, but they do factor it in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
green-two

thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies