turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cinderamd

How to upgrade online software New York State 1t 196

Getting error message "it-196 your return has a mortgage interest adjustment which will require an update to ensure that all the calculations are correct. to receive an update, select check for updates from the online menu to connect to our website"
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

50 Replies

I am getting the same message. Hopefully this will be corrected soon.

I'm getting the same message as well, and there are no updates.

cmfdcf19

I keep getting this error, follow the update directions, and still cannot file.
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

This means that some NY state forms are still unavailable and will be updated soon.  TurboTax does not create IRS or state forms we use the information provided by the government.  Once the final versions are sent to TurboTax the software will be updated and you should be able to file your returns.  We do not have dates for these fixes , you will have to check back often to see if you can file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Please send updates to all customers. The fact that I/we paid and e filed my/our federal and have to wait on my/out state and check in with this program is absurd. 

The thing is, NY state has already updated the form and other tax services have them.....what's the hold up with TurboTax?????

They should correct the error message. There is no way for a user to update anything like it says. Message should advise that TT software is in process of update and to check back. 

Very much agree.  Good point.

This is absurd!  Over the many years I've used TurboTax, I've never encountered such a severe issue for which there is no clear solution--there's no one I can speak to live to resolve (I've called the Intuit 800 customer service # many times and the voice command doesn't correctly recognize my verbal email address for my account), there's no update to correct this, there's no eta for the update and resolution, the error messages are circular and baffling causing me more confusion, and more importantly no way to e-file my taxes.  I pay TurboTax months in advance to ensure that I have a seamless, painless tax filing experience, and ultimately the joy of filing my taxes early before the rush period later.  If someone is listening, please advise what is the solution to this very big problem. (email: [email address removed]; cell: [phone number removed])

This is absurd!  Over the many years I've used TurboTax, I've never encountered such a severe issue for which there is no clear solution--there's no one I can speak to live to resolve (I've called the Intuit 800 customer service # many times and the voice command doesn't correctly recognize my verbal email address for my account), there's no update to correct this, there's no eta for the update and resolution, the error messages are circular and baffling causing me more confusion, and more importantly no way to e-file my taxes.  I pay TurboTax months in advance to ensure that I have a seamless, painless tax filing experience, and ultimately the joy of filing my taxes early before the rush period later.  If someone is listening, please advise what is the solution to this very big problem. 

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

This experience is currently being investigated - sorry for the inconvenience. Please check back later in the upcoming week for an update.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
wgm1

I have the same problem as many: I cannot file due to a "required update for NYS IT-196" form not working (we have all downloaded it and our versions are up to date), and i am not allowed to file until it works.  this is absurd.  we can't file?  why is a fix taking so long to implement?

I am experiencing the same issue and now have spent two days trying to fix it. Even with the "live" support yesterday who said that downloading the software license would fix this issue! I have now just wasted another two hours redoing everything just to get the same message. I would like a personal notification when this is fixed as I need to file ASAP.

I also am getting this message and would like to be informed when thisis fixed and I can e-file my returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies