Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

m_yake

How to know if my solar credit (30% tax credit for purchasing solar panels) was used this year on my tax return submission?

I see the amount listed as $9,400 under home energy credits, which implies it was used.  But I am confused because at first it told me that I couldn't use the credits due to receiving a refund, and credits could only be applied if I was paying in for taxes.  But somehow it is letting me use the solar credits in addition to having a refund?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

How to know if my solar credit (30% tax credit for purchasing solar panels) was used this year on my tax return submission?

The solar tax credit is a non-refundable credit and any unused portion will be carried over to future years. The amount of $9,400 is the total tax credit. Whether you can use it all this year depends on your tax liability for the year before that credit. Your tax liability will only be known once your have completed your return. If your tax liability before the application of the credit is greater than the amount of the credit then the credit will be used entirely to reduce your tax liability. Otherwise, you will have an excess credit to be carried over.

The fact that you are receiving a refund means that your tax liability after application of the credit (whether in full or partially) is less than your tax withheld (and any estimated taxes paid).

Once you complete your return, you can print it before filing. You can then look at form 5695 line 16 - Credit carried forward to 2019. If line 16 = 0, then the credit has been fully used.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies