turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file state tax if I need to amend federal tax?

Hi all,

Thank you for your help.

I filed my federal tax by mail, but haven't filed my state tax yet. But recently, I find I made a mistake, and I think I need to amend my federal tax.

For the federal tax, I know I could file a 1040X once IRS rejects or refunds me. But how about my state tax? Should I file it with all correct information and a correct 1040? Or I have to file the state tax with the same mistake and amend it later?

Besides, since I already knew that I need to amend my federal tax, can I do it right away?  Or I have to wait?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should wait until you amend your federal return, then file your state return with the correct information. In other words, don't file your state return with wrong numbers and then amend it, just file it once with the correct numbers.

You need to wait until your federal return is processed before you can amend it. So, if you are due a refund, wait until you receive it. If you had a payment due, wait until your payment is processed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much.

Just want to make sure, can I file my state return with the correct numbers now? Or I also need to wait for the federal tax? Since I filed it by mail, I am afraid that I will miss the state deadline.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Note that your tax return is considered "filed" the day you mail it...however, you should really have proof of mailing, especially with the delays currently in the USPS.

If you send the return by USPS, use registered or certified mail.

You can use a "PDS" (private delivery service) like UPS or FedEx or DHL. However, two caveats:

1. Only certain services qualify for the proof of mailing (see this IRS link), and

2. If you use a PDS, you must send to a street address, not a PO Box (see the link Here are the street addresses of the submission processing centers for delivery by a PDS on the IRS page above).

This means that you can still wait a few days before mailing/shipping.

The important thing is to give the IRS a chance to process your initial return before they process your amended return. One way to do that is to wait for your refund, which would show that they had processed your initial return.

However, do NOT miss the filing deadline in any case - if your refund is not back, send your state return anyway.

Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

Can I file my state returns now with the new numbers? Or would I have to wait till my amended federal taxes are accepted. If so, how long does this typically take (since they have to be mailed in). Thanks in advanced! 

As you have not yet filed state taxes, you can now file them with the correct numbers.  Because you did not e-file a federal return, you will need to print and mail the state taxes.  

@Anonymous

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @MaryM428!

So I did e-file my federal tax returns and they have been accepted (only the state hasn't been sent). In this case, would it just be best to submit my state returns (with the already e-filed federal returns), then proceed to amend both my Federal and State. 

You can do it either way, but it would be easier to just send the correct state return, instead of sending in the incorrect state and then amending it. 

Yo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha.

When I send in the correct state return, is the copy of the federal return the amended one (With 1040-X)?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, your amended return would need to be attached to your state return when you file if your state requires the federal return be attached.

@Anonymous

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies