Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jaredtravis2288
Returning Member

How does working in another state work? I work in PA and live in OH and I know they have reciprocal agreements but my ohio city isnt taking any tax off my paystub?

How will this affect my return? Who do I file with? PA or OH? The only income comes from PA. I've been taxed for a different city in OH earlier in the year so do I file PA and OH? I'm still being taxed for the state of OH and have been taxed for the state of PA but my city that i live in ohio isn't taxing me anything.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does working in another state work? I work in PA and live in OH and I know they have reciprocal agreements but my ohio city isnt taking any tax off my paystub?

Who is Eligible for Nonwithholding? You may be entitled to nonwithholding of PA personal income tax if you incurred no liability for income tax the preceding tax year and/or you anticipate that you will incur no liability for income tax during the current tax year, according to the Special Tax Provisions of section 304 of the Tax Reform Code, the Servicemember Civil Relief Act (SCRA) or as a resident of the reciprocal state of Indiana,
Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, Virginia or West Virginia and your employer agrees to withhold
the income tax from that state

employee must provide employer with form REV - 419

THE EMPLOYER DOESN'T NEED TO AGREE TO WITHHOLD FOR OH. 

A resident of one of these reciprocal states whose
employer withheld PA income tax must file Form
PA-40 reflecting no compensation on Line 1a and
the PA tax withheld on Line 13. In addition, a signed
copy of the other state’s resident income tax return
(without any supporting documents) along with a
copy of the actual W-2 and a statement that the taxpayer was a resident of a reciprocal state must be
submitted. 

Ohio has a pretty complicated local tax system.  Better tell us where you are.  We do not know if you have city tax, RITA, or school district tax for your local tax--but if you live in OHIO it is likely you have one of those.  And since you work in PA, the employer does not have to withhold your OH local tax.  That does not mean you do not have to pay OH local tax.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies