turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How does the Homestead Benefit act work for NJ residents? How do I apply this benefit to turbo tax?

How does the Homestead Benefit act work for NJ residents?  How do I apply this benefit to turbo tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelDC

How does the Homestead Benefit act work for NJ residents? How do I apply this benefit to turbo tax?

The NJ Homestead Benefit reduces the taxes that you are billed. Because the benefit is no longer handled as a rebate, it is no longer accounted for on your federal (or NJ) tax returns.

When you report your property taxes paid, you already account for this benefit. You would only have over-deducted if you ignored the property taxes paid when taking a deduction, and instead used the rate from your green card or the yearly rate based on an assessment.

So, if your property taxes in 2017 were $8000 and you received a Homestead Credit that year of $150, you would only have paid $7850. You deduct $7850, and you do not recover the $150 as income.

This is different than how it used to be handled, as they used to issue a check. If you account for the benefit as income now, you will be paying taxes on it twice-

Once, as income. Twice, because the rebate reduces the taxes you pay in the current year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies