Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Don Clark
Returning Member

How do I get a 2024 California form bug fixed?

I e-filed an amended 2024 state and the program thinks it's not an amended form because I mailed the first 2024 California filing. However, TurboTax charged me $25 to e-file the state amended form.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You are confused about the tax year.  No one has prepared or filed a 2024 tax return.    That will not happen until next year, when tax year 2024 is over.   People are currently preparing and filling tax returns for 2023, the tax year that just ended on December 31, 2023.

If you mailed your original state return, you cannot e-file an amended return.   It sounds like you are also confused about the amending process.

To amend only a state return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2824532-i-need-to-amend-my-state-return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3827521-can-i-efile-an-amended-state-return

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Don Clark
Returning Member

Thanks, you are correct I filed 2023 federal and 2023 California. Specifically I e-filed 2023 Federal and mailed California 2023 filings.

I don't see information in either of your links that TurboTax can not e-file a California amendment if the prior California filing for 2023 was mailed. One of the links actually says that California amendments can be e-filed. The TurboTax program also instructed me that I could e-file and stepped me through payment.

Five minutes after e-filing, I received an email saying Intuit rejected the e-filing and instructs "Change a Previously Filed Tax Return (Amend)". Answer "No" to the question asking if you would like to begin filing an amended return, and continue from there."

Deductively the program logic is assuming an original was not filed because it lacks a logic step to ask if the original was mailed.

Somewhat irrelevantly this is amendment is because I missed small print in TurboTax step for apportioning personal use of rental property, The small print said to manually calculate expense percentages when a property is permanently retired from rental use.  My small print miss resulted in a variety of incorrectly apportioned rental expenses, miscalculation of passive losses and substantial over payment of taxes. I feel like a step asking if the property was still used in the rental business could have prevented these tribulations.

JUST CALLED TURBOTAX SUPPORT

Support says the error is intentional since the program can't know if California confirmed receipt of the original 2023 filing ... which begs the question of why the help links and program instructions don't specify that you can only e-file California amendments if the original was also e-filed. Support explained that the word amend means changes must be made to the physical original medium. They did agree to refund the e-filing fee after some debate. 

I've been a consistent TurboTax customer since 1991and I am beginning to lose confidence. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies