turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oct 16 is the IRS deadline–file confidently with expert help. File Now
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Not applicable

How do I file my state income taxes if I work in MD but live in VA?

In 2016 and 2016 I did this by paying income tax to Maryland and taking advantage of the tax return credit for taxes paid to Maryland in VA. I got a letter from the Department of Taxation in VA that is demanding I pay $6000 to them in taxes because I owed them the income tax and that I need to file an amendment to MD to try to get the taxes I paid them back.  VA is also charging my $500 in interest for not paying my taxes on time. I need help navigating this and I want to know how to do my taxes correctly for 2017.
This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Talk to a live expert to get the help you need.
1 Reply
Expert Alumni

How do I file my state income taxes if I work in MD but live in VA?

If you are a VA resident, all your income belongs to VA and is taxed there.  When you work in MD and pay taxes to MD, you are correct that you report those taxes on your VA return and they give you credit for them.  

You then file a non-resident return to MD to get those taxes refunded to you, as you may still owe tax on your income to your home state of VA.

Click the link for more info to help you with living and working in multiple states.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies