turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msmyth

How do I enter Tax exempt muni's taxable to Indiana? I followed the screens, but it's not showing up on Indiana return as an add-back.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I enter Tax exempt muni's taxable to Indiana? I followed the screens, but it's not showing up on Indiana return as an add-back.

When you enter on the federal return the tax-exempt interest, you need to make sure that you enter it in box 8 on the 1099-INT input screen. This requires you to check the box "There is more information than just in box 1" (paraphrase). Then on a subsequent screen, you will be asked from what state the munis come (in my test, I chose New York).

Then go to your Indiana interview. After a few screens, you should see a screen entitled "Interest on Out-of-State Municipal Obligations". You can enter the amount of interest here that is taxable in Indiana.

But I suspect that you won't see this Indiana screen if you didn't enter the muni correctly on the federal return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

When you enter on the federal return the tax-exempt interest, you need to make sure that you enter it in box 8 on the 1099-INT input screen. This requires you to check the box "There is more information than just in box 1" (paraphrase). Then on a subsequent screen, you will be asked from what state the munis come (in my test, I chose New York).

Then go to your Indiana interview. After a few screens, you should see a screen entitled "Interest on Out-of-State Municipal Obligations". You can enter the amount of interest here that is taxable in Indiana.

But I suspect that you won't see this Indiana screen if you didn't enter the muni correctly on the federal return.

msmyth

I assumed when you enter the state on the Federal Screen where it asks you, it would pull to the state return.  I struggled to find the muni entry in the Indiana screens.  So basically it's an override.  sjk, cpa
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies