squink42

Holding residency in Florida and working temporarily in Utah. Do I need to pay Utah state income tax

I hold residency with my home and license in Florida and will be working in Utah for 6 months. My company is asking that I file state taxes in Utah. Should I be filing state income tax in Utah?

Mike9241

A part-year resident is a person who is a resident for part of the year and a nonresident for part of the year. All income received during the period of residency is taxable in Utah regardless of where that income is earned, unless specifically exempted. Income from Utah sources is taxable in Utah during the period of nonresidence

squink42

Does the same hold true if my employer is a New Jersey employer and I am working in Utah temporarily?

rjs

@squink42 wrote:

It makes no difference where your employer is located. What matters is where you live and where you work.

If you are only in Utah temporarily, you are not a Utah resident. You will file a Utah nonresident tax return and pay Utah tax on the income that you earned for working in Utah.