`

Hello, I hope you are well. Do I need to file an Illinois income tax return? I was on research leave from my job and in Illinois to only conduct research.

I planned to return to my home state, but I did give up the apartment I was renting here so that I could afford to rent an apartment in Illinois. My car and license continued to be registered/ held by my home state.

Yes, If you earned income while physically working in Illinois but are not considered a resident of Illinois then you will be required to file a nonresident Illinois return.