Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cf24

Have same state twice on w2

I worked for the same company. And I worked in CA in January and worked in WA for the rest of 2023. When I received my W2, CA state copy shows twice with different income values. (I believe that there is some internal changes of my employer policy and everyone's income is separated into two parts on w2). But I have following questions.

1. On Turbotax, when filling w2, it doesn't allows users to input box15-17 for duplicate state (multiple rows for same state is not allowed). Should I add up the values from box15-17 for CA state and only add one row?

2. My federal copy and CA state copies have different values for 12a-12d. Should I just put box12 from federal copy on turbox tax?

3. There is one question on Turbotax asking me how much income I earned in 2023 belong to CA. So, I only needed to add up the value of box16 from the two CA copies, right? For example, if box16 of first CA copy shows 1 dollar and box16 of second CA copy shows 2 dollars. Then , the answer to that question should be 3?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Have same state twice on w2

Yes, you can only enter a particular state one time on a single W-2 employer ID number. 

If the different CA amounts from the same employer are meant to be added together (versus one being a corrected version of the other), then you can add them together and report them on one line in TurboTax. The same goes for the income and the amounts in Box 12. If you were employed by the same company but, for example, under different payroll systems, you can add the amounts together.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies