arazi13

Had my legal name change - Federal, California, Wisconsin accepted filing BUT Illinois rejecting it

So frustrating. I finally submitted my taxes. I had my name changed legally (same SSN). So I edited men name in profile. I had to submit taxes to Federal, Wisconsin, California, and Illinois. All accepted except Illinois! I read that taxes look at SSN. This is the message I get:

"FormIL1040, Primary Taxpayer SSN and the first four characters of the last name do not match our records from prior year returns. The first four characters of the last name associated with the Taxpayer SSN must match our records, or else a paper return must be filed."

How do I fix this? I need Illinois to know my legal name changed. Maybe call the State? Even if I file paper return it could still get rejected. I prefer electronically filing. Any advice?

DanielV01

Check that you have entered in your driver's license (Illinois requirement).  Also examine the actual code for the Illinois reject; it might not be related to your name.  If you can't determine it, however, then mail in your return, and perhaps with a copy of your SS Card and driver's license to show the name change.

arazi13

Thanks for reply. I live in California, hence inputted California license did same last year). I just have a rental property in Illinois hence have to file Illinois taxes. 

This was the Reject Code ILHEADER-8500-7

Any advice will be appreciated.