turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Had my legal name change - Federal, California, Wisconsin accepted filing BUT Illinois rejecting it

So frustrating. I finally submitted my taxes. I had my name changed legally (same SSN). So I edited men name in profile. I had to submit taxes to Federal, Wisconsin, California, and Illinois. All accepted except Illinois! I read that taxes look at SSN. This is the message I get:

"FormIL1040, Primary Taxpayer SSN and the first four characters of the last name do not match our records from prior year returns. The first four characters of the last name associated with the Taxpayer SSN must match our records, or else a paper return must be filed."

How do I fix this? I need Illinois to know my legal name changed. Maybe call the State? Even if I file paper return it could still get rejected. I prefer electronically filing. Any advice?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Had my legal name change - Federal, California, Wisconsin accepted filing BUT Illinois rejecting it

Check that you have entered in your driver's license (Illinois requirement).  Also examine the actual code for the Illinois reject; it might not be related to your name.  If you can't determine it, however, then mail in your return, and perhaps with a copy of your SS Card and driver's license to show the name change.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for reply. I live in California, hence inputted California license did same last year). I just have a rental property in Illinois hence have to file Illinois taxes. 

This was the Reject Code ILHEADER-8500-7

Any advice will be appreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies