Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tedph

Getting an old W2 when nobody has access

I lived in PA and IL in 2018. I worked in PA, was unemployed in IL. Now IL is claiming I owe back taxes for income earned in PA because the income showed up on my Federal return. I forgot to file in PA (and I'm actually willing to fix that) but IL wants their pound of flesh and PA will want two pounds if I can't prove my state withholding.

Nobody seems to have access to the W2 with state information.

Employer is defunct...purchased by a company that was purchased by a company that is overseas and non-responsive.

Payroll provider doesn't keep records that old and wouldn't share for privacy reasons anyway.

SS and IRS don't provide state info (which is what I need)

PA and IL Departments of Revenue, and PA DLI all claim they don't have access to W2.

Either way, I need the W2 for state withholding. Do I have any options?

TBBT Leonard: "What would you be if you were joined to another object by an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis?”

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

SS doesn’t have the state info?  I thought you can get an actual copy from SSA for $126.

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02501

PA and IL Departments of Revenue, and PA DLI all claim they don't have access to W2.

baloney.  how would they know you filed correctly - wages and withholding if they didn't have access. 

tedph

From the article you cited:  "However, state and local tax information isn’t available if you e-filed your tax return."

I always e-file. 

tedph

PA hasn't contacted me. I've reached out to them.

IL is relying on the fact that I filed my federal return to decide that I owe them money because I was a resident for the second half of the year. They apparently don't have any other information. Since I can't show them the W2, I'm guilty until proven innocent.

They would accept a copy of my PA filing (which I don't personally think they're entitled to but I wouldn't fight it) but I missed filing. So, I'm trying to file with PA but they won't provide a W2 so I can file properly.

Bottom line, nobody will provide the W2, but IL still thinks they're entitled to my money and I can't prove otherwise. Napoleonic law: Guilty until proven innocent.

You misunderstood.  That article is telling you that the IRS does not have your state or local W-2 information if you e-filed---so you cannot get the state information for free from the IRS's transcript.   You can, however, pay Social Security $126 for a complete copy of your W-2.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TomD8
Level 15

Your 2018 W-2 will show your PA state information if your employer withheld 2018 PA state taxes for you.  IL won't accept that you were a part-year resident of PA in 2018 without seeing your PA tax return for that year.

So it seems that (if you want to pursue this) then you have little choice other than to fork over the $126 to Social Security for a copy of your 2018 W-2, then to file a 2018 PA part-year resident state tax return, and then to forward a copy of it to IL.

Note that you will not be able to use TurboTax to file a 2018 tax return.  TT no longer supports tax filing for that year.  You can download PA's 2018 tax forms here:

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/PIT/Pages/default.aspx#

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies