gambling winnings in Minnesota

Judy57

gambling winnings in Minnesota

I am a resident of Wisconsin, a nonresident of Minnesota. In 2020, I won $1215 in MN on a slot machine. According to Turbo Tax, I owe $64 in MN state taxes, but this is under the MN minimum filing requirement ($12,400), so do I still need to submit a MN state return to pay the $64?

TomD8

gambling winnings in Minnesota

See "Do I need to file a Minnesota tax return" in this reference:

https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/nonresidents

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

Judy57

gambling winnings in Minnesota

Thank you for the link. Based on that info, my understanding is I do not need to file a MN state return because my MN income is less than $12,400. But now that Turbo Tax has taken me down the path of downloading the MN state software  (at a cost of $42),  and it shows I owe $64 in MN state taxes (which increased my WI state refund by $64), and I don't see a way to delete MN from my state listing, I believe I need to proceed with filing a MN state return (which probably will cost about $25 to e-file), in order to close everything out. At this point, I'm just wondering if there was a better way to handle this from the beginning in order to avoid the extra $67 in Turbo Tax fees.

AshleyLO

gambling winnings in Minnesota

Please reach out to our customer service representatives for assistance with receiving a refund: Contact TurboTax