Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

First year paying state taxes. I am not sure I am doing it right. I was wobdering how you just take irlt straight out of my federal tax return.

Also why is it asking me when I will pay the amount and if it will be before April?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

First year paying state taxes. I am not sure I am doing it right. I was wobdering how you just take irlt straight out of my federal tax return.

You do NOT pay state taxes due with your Federal refund.  You can pay any TurboTax fees out of your refund, but NOT your state taxes.  Pay close attention to the steps in the filing process concerning refunds/payments.  It is step 2 under the File tab - the same section you file out refund information.  I have included a screenshot below.  

Every state has a slightly different process for paying state taxes due.  Some will allow you to enter checking information on the return and they will take direct debit it out of your account.  But, some require you to go to the states website to make a payment with checking account or credit/debit card.  You can also just pay by paper check and TurboTax will ask you if you want this option.  You will then get a voucher form to print out and send with your check.

The question about when/will is designed to make sure you indicate you will pay the amount due by the due date in April.  Otherwise, interest and penalties may be assessed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies