Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filling Amendment to IT201 New York State

I made a mistake in my original filing affecting both Federal and New York State taxes. I made the correction and tried to re-efile. The Federal update was transmitted successfully BUT my NYS was rejected saying I can't file IT-201-X because I didn't file IT-201. ! but I did - The error is incorrect. 

Seems only solution is to print sign and mail in hard copy  

TurboTax 2023 Deluxe desktop. Working on a Mac.

Thanks in advance.  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Perhaps the NY-201 has not been accepted/approved by NY yet.  Did you receive your refund or balance due?  Make sure that the returns have been fully processed through the system before amending and e-filing.  However, printing and mailing is an option.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did receive the receipt from NYS for the original filing.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Cynthia,   I just noticed, when running the "review".  The page where it shows the changes,  is completely wrong .. the "2023 Return" column. is not anything like what I originally filed... Seems like some intermediary version got generated and never filed and thats why the program "thinks" I didn't file...    

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

You should verify with New York State whether they got your originally filed return. You need to establish that your original return was filed (and accepted and processed) first.

Sign in to your TurboTax account and open Your Tax Returns & Documents on the Tax Home screen. Your state return for 2023 should be listed as Filed, and your Return Status should say Accepted. If it says Started instead, you'll need to file your state tax return.

Or you can contact the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance to find out information about your filed return.

Once you have established whether it's been filed or not, you can either file it with the correct information (if it was never filed), or you can amend it as needed (if it has already been filed and accepted.

You can mail in your amended state tax return, but you have to establish that an original return was actually filed or there will be no processed New York State return in the system to amend.  Once you have determined that, you can confidently amend your return and submit it.

Click here for information on how to amend your state tax return.

Click here for additional information about tracking your state refund.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Linda. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply in such detail. 

Yes the original IT201 was accepted and processed. I know this because I had an amount due and they collected it from my bank. Amazing how fast they are to draw the debit compared with the slowness in processing a refund.. 🙂 

Having no other option I printed and mailed my IT201X. My status on-lime shows as accepted and processed but I'm fairly sure that refers to the original filing not yet the updated version. In that version I am due a refund plus a refund of the incorrect debit. I'll just ave to sit tight a few more days to see what happens. 

My purpose in writing in the first place was to get some feed back from Intuit as its, to my mind, a software bug, rather than a taxation issue. Clearly since the amendment process created a IT201X it must have been based on an original IT201; so it must be wrong when it comes to filing time to prohibit me from filing the amendment. The program should, I think, provide an "Are you sure" warning message and an option to override whatever flag in the system is preventing filing.

I'm sure NYS has processes to reject and return the filing if they *think* it's in error.  

Thanks anyway.. 

Best Derek ... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies