Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing state under different status than federal and allocating dependents

My wife and I are filing our federal return as married filing jointly. I also received some income in CT where we are nonresidents, and CT allows the state filing to be different than federal. So my plan is to make a 'mock' federal return as married filing separately and use that as a basis to populate my CT state return under married filing separately, and mail in the CT return - it seems to lower my CT taxes this way, and my wife would not file a CT return.

When I fill out the 'mock' federal return, can I say that I will be the one claiming our children as dependents? It asks, as married filing separately, which spouse is going to claim the dependents. For our real federal return filing as joint this does not apply, but for the 'mock' federal one in this case, can I claim the dependents for myself so that it will transfer that over to the CT nonresident return? I was not sure if it has any impact on the CT return anyway, but wanted to check if it is acceptable for me to add the dependents in my 'mock' federal return? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, because only one spouse has nonresident Connecticut income, you can prepare the mock federal with the dependents.  It would only be an issue if you were both filing a CT return and both claiming the children.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, because only one spouse has nonresident Connecticut income, you can prepare the mock federal with the dependents.  It would only be an issue if you were both filing a CT return and both claiming the children.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your prompt reply!

That makes sense that it would be okay to do as long as the number of dependents are not be double counted if my wife and I were to submit separate returns to the same government (federal or any state). Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies