filing separately for state alone

filing separately for state alone

we are both residents of NJ and I am the only one who has NY income and hence Turbotax started the NY filing as non-resident. But it is insisting on putting all of our income and then doing the ratio thing (NY vs total income) - I would like to find out what would be the outcome if filed as "married filing separately" just for NY. it doesn't give me the option to change filing status. Is there a way to do this?

Also does anyone know if NY taxes non-resident interest, dividend and capital gains?

filing separately for state alone

If you are in desktop you could change the status on the NY information worksheet. Married filing separately will generally increase your liability to NY. However, you will be getting a credit on your NJ return for taxes paid to NY. Ending up virtually in the same place.

Additionally NY does not tax non resident interest, dividends or Capital Gains unless earned in NY.

filing separately for state alone

Thanks. based on another post here, I just looked through IT-203 instructions. It says that if both couple are non-resident and only one has NY income, then they have to file a joint return in NY.