turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing or notification requirements a full year after moving out of a state

I moved states in 2022 from Michigan to Washington. In my 2023 state tax return for MI I indicated par-year residence and filled in the dates for when I lived in Michigan in 2022, and my home address which is in WA. Now it's 2023 tax season, do I have to do anything for the state I moved out of (MI), like notifying them I won't be filing a state tax with MI since I don't live there (and have no property, income, business there) anymore? I have received my 1099-G for MI state tax refund amount for 2022 so they have my new WA address on record.

More generally are there any follow-ups when moving between states, besides filing your last state return (with the correct partial year residence and new out-of-state address) for the part of the year that you were domiciled there?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sounds like you have it covered. You filed your MI return for 2022 in 2023.   Now you live in another state.  You do not have to tell MI you will not be back or do anything to notify MI about your current or future plans.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Sounds like you have it covered. You filed your MI return for 2022 in 2023.   Now you live in another state.  You do not have to tell MI you will not be back or do anything to notify MI about your current or future plans.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies