Solved: File past NY state tax return

File past NY state tax return

I am trying to file this past year's (2015) NY state tax return and have been informed through my TurboTax software that NY state only accepts electronic e-filing. How do I e-file a past year's return? Or is there a way to submit the return by mail?

File past NY state tax return

You generally can't e-file a prior year.  To file your 2015 return, you will need to mail a printed copy to the NY tax department.  If you don't have a printed copy, you will need to install turbotax on your own computer, since turbotax online can only prepare the current year (2016).

If you paid to file online but never finished, you can contact customer support for a download to install the program.  If you did not pay before, you will need to purchase turbotax for 2015.  Look at the bottom of the turbotax home page for "past year programs".

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
**If a post answers your question, choose it by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer".**

File past NY state tax return