Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Saml
Level 1

Federal Agency bond interest is not taxed in Virginia. How does Turbotax avoid taxing this interest on the Virginia state return ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Federal Agency bond interest is not taxed in Virginia. How does Turbotax avoid taxing this interest on the Virginia state return ?

Your federal bond interest should flow through to your Virginia state tax return properly.  

When you enter your Form 1099-INT into TurboTax the information and codes on that Form should properly determine the taxability to your state tax return.

For instance: Box 3 reports interest earned on U.S. savings bonds or Treasury notes, bills or bonds. Some of this may be tax-exempt.

Interest income from Treasury bills, notes and bonds is subject to federal income tax, but is exempt from all state and local income taxes.

Click here for 1099-INT information.

Click here for "A Guide to Investment Bonds and Taxes."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

To get to box 3. Under the Received from box, you need to check the little box on the left for
….My form has info in more than just box 1 (this is uncommon).

@VolvoGirl  @LindaS5247 

I think @Saml  is asking about US "Agency" interest, like from TVA bonds or Federal Home Loan Bank.  Those $$ are reported in box 1 of their 1099-INT forms, and TTX doesn't always have a way to take those $$ out of the state income.

Someone else for another state (don't remember which state) indicated there was an area in the state interview where those $$ could be removed as an "Adjustment" selection.  I know that my NC software doesn't have a place in the NC Q&A....but I can remove it in Forms Mode on the desktop software.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@Saml 

Found it !!!   VA does have a spot during the VA interview:

See the final post here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-agency-bonds-for-state-exemption/01/3227160/hi...

The thing is, I don't know what happens when you enter that area of the VA Q&A.

...like if you only enter the "Agency" interest and ignore everything that was already covered properly for US Bonds/Notes in the Federal section.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies