Extension details were not correct. Why didn't th...

mobster27

Extension details were not correct. Why didn't the program catch that.

Just got a letter from NY saying that I underpaid 30.00 in taxes.  I reviewed my return and saw that I hadn't selected the YES for the extension box.  So, I had extended, sending along the money that I thought I owed.  Then when I filed my federal and non-resident NY income taxes, TurboTax let me get away with not marking the extension box.  The weird thing is, I  updated and said yes and entered the 270 payment I had made, and I owed money!  I went from 0.00 owed to 39.00 AFTER I entered the additional money.  Why did the program let me get away with not saying yes to the extension, considering I filed in October.  Why wasn't that part of my return challenged by the program? 

rjs

Filing in October does not imply that you filed an extension. A lot of people file late, without an extension.

TurboTax has no way of knowing whether you filed an extension except by asking you. If you told it that you did not file an extension, it has to believe you. TurboTax relies on you to give it accurate information. It can't challenge everything you enter.

mobster27

It was a state return and apparently certain states, NY included, don't need a form if a Federal extension is requested, as I did using TurboTax.  When I reran the NY return, I do not believe it asked if I had asked for an extension...I don't remember, but seems very strange to me...a flaw.  Thank you for replying so quickly.