Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

efiling PA non-resident return

I live in AZ but had income from PA for the first time in 2023. It appears from the PA website that non-residents cannot efile since they don't have PA ID's with which to verify their identities. I am a TT advantage member.  If I download and complete the PA state return in TT will I be able to efile it along with my Federal and AZ returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

You should be able to electronically file your Pennsylvania return along with your federal and Arizona returns.  Since you are a nonresident of Pennsylvania, when you start preparing your state returns, you will need to complete it first.  

Once you are done with both state returns and you are going through the File section in TurboTax,  the program will ask you to enter your identification information, it can be a state ID or a driver's license.  It is part of a national effort by states to combat stolen-identity tax fraud, software programs are asking tax filers to provide their driver's license number or state-issued identification card number with their filing. 

Entering your Identification is a state of Pennsylvania requirement.  You might also be required to sign your return on paper using Form PA-8453. You will need to mail this form to the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue after they accept your return.  The program will guide you on how to print and mail this form. 

Feel free to reach back if you have additional questions.  See the Pennsylvania website for more information on ID Validation

Thanks for the reply.  It is too late to do PA first as I have already downloaded and completed my AZ return.  Before I purchase the PA return from TT I want to make sure I can efile with PA even though I do not have any PA state ID's because I am a non-resident of PA.  

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can e-file your PA state return using TurboTax.  All you will need to do is download PA. PA does not have any type of ID requirement to file a return. 

No, it is not too late to do your PA return first as long you have not yet filed your AZ return. The order in which you download your state programs have no affect on the other you file them in. 

The reason you do the nonresident state first is so you know the amount you paid to the nonresident state and enter it on  your resident state to claim a credit for taxes paid to other states.  

If you have already filed your AZ return, you may need to Amend Your Return if you did not enter the correct amount on the AZ return for taxes paid to PA. 

The only time PA will request ID is to verify your Identity if you are one of the people who are randomly selected for ID verification.  This does not stop your return from being accepted.  It would just mean, you would get a letter in the mail asking you to prove you are who you say you are and telling you what steps you need to take to verify your identity.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply.  The other issue I have with this PA income is that it is from property leased for oil and gas exploration/extraction that does not have a street address which is required by TT.  From the lease I have the property's township, county, acreage and deed book number and page number in the county recorder of deeds office.  May I use one of these?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, if it is requiring you to enter the street address you can enter the deed book number for the street address.  

In PA there is a lot of rural area and PO boxes with no street addresses.  Just enter as XXXXX deed book number

1)  My lease is an oil/gas lease but my income in 2023 was reported as rent in Box 1 which means that no extraction was done in 2023 so I received no royalties.  Is this considered a rental property or royalty property according to TT?

2)  Does this income quality as QBI?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Box 1 on 1099-MISC is considered rent and in your case, its like land rent. It would not qualify for QBI unless your had a working interest in the income (Schedule C). It would need to qualify as your business or trade to be considered QBI.

Can I get the QBI deduction on rental income?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies