I cannot efile my 2020 New York State return after making a credit card payment for the full amount due.
TurboTax will not let me proceed with the efile process.
Please help as I can only efile my NY return.
You could be having a problem e-filing your New York State return if you have a W-2 with a 414(h) in Box 14. TurboTax content developers have identified this issue and found a solution that will allow you to e-file your New York State return.
Please follow the steps below:
- Open your return.
- Search W-2 with the magnifying glass tool at the top of the page.
- Click the Jump to W-2 link at the top of the search results.
- Click Edit next to your W-2.
- Scroll down to Box 14.
- For the Box 14 entries with category New York IRC 414(h) NY tax exempt, enter the letters NOT directly after your existing description input. Please do not include a space
- Click Continue
- Click File on the left hand side.
- Click Start next to Get ready to save and file your returns.
- Click Change next to 2020 New York Return.
- Select e-file and continue.
A full update will soon eliminate this error, but this was the provided instructions until that is complete.
You may also be having an issue if you chose to e-file your federal return first.
To e-file your state return, please follow the instructions below:
- In TurboTax Online, sign in to your account.
- Select Tax Home in the left menu.
- Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
- Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right area).
- Select File in the left menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or select the menu icon in the top left corner).
- On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
- Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
- On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
- Follow the instructions to e-file your return.