Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does turbotax send entire return (all states + Fed) when efiling to every state?

Hello,

I recently filed my 2021 taxes and had to file in two states. I e-filed both my Federal and both State returns. I got a notice from State A this week with an adjustment based on what I assume is a lack of receiving the State B return (they did not give reason why they adjusted what they did but the line item refers to my State B tax liability).

My question: When E-filing in multiple states, does TurboTax transmit a copy of the additional state with that state's return (For Example: State A receives: Federal return, State A return, a copy of State B return; State B receives: Federal Return, State B return, a copy of State A return)?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Does turbotax send entire return (all states + Fed) when efiling to every state?

TurboTax usually transmits copies of your nonresident state when you are claiming a credit for double taxation. Most times, this is done automatically. Other times, TurboTax will ask you whether to send a copy of the other states return.

For whatever reason, states sometimes "lose" copies of the other state, even when e-filed. I file with Intuit's ProSeries and it's happened to me.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

TurboTax usually transmits copies of your nonresident state when you are claiming a credit for double taxation. Most times, this is done automatically. Other times, TurboTax will ask you whether to send a copy of the other states return.

For whatever reason, states sometimes "lose" copies of the other state, even when e-filed. I file with Intuit's ProSeries and it's happened to me.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies