Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does Turbotax know how to calculate part year resident deductions of Maryland? My return was adjusted down significantly because TT did not make adjustments.

All Data was entered correctly and double checked.  Printed forms do not show adjustments or calculations to deductions. Hard to see what' being done in the background but the State of MD disagreed.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Does Turbotax know how to calculate part year resident deductions of Maryland? My return was adjusted down significantly because TT did not make adjustments.

Yes, part-year state returns can be prepared within TurboTax but the order in which the returns are prepared is also important.  Typically, you would need to prepare your former state return return first and then prepare the state return in which you reside in at the end of  the year.

This link provides guidance on how this is accomplished in TurboTax. 

If your returns were prepared and filed as part-year state resident returns, your returns would only have adjustments if you needed to allocate income between each resident state depending upon the income earned within each state.  This would have been accomplished while proceeding through the state interview sections of each part-year state return.

As you have already filed your return, you can also amend your state returns to ensure each part-year resident state return is prepared accurately.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello, I appreciate the response. I have completed the TurboTax application as advised; however, the Maryland state taxing authority did not accept the results. Upon manually completing the forms, I comprehend their reasoning. I suspect a TurboTax error and require guidance on resolving this matter. Does TurboTax offer an accuracy guarantee? Although I have not incurred any penalties, I seek at least a refund of the purchase cost if TurboTax did not accurately calculate my return.

Upon reviewing the return and considering the state agency's feedback, I've noticed significant errors but cannot ascertain the processes Turbotax employs behind the scenes to produce these outcomes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies