Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bm02072

Does Turbotax automatically deduct RI TDI on MA return, as I am a MA reside?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, as long as you enter the correct information into TurboTax when you enter in your W-2.  Enter your information as reported on your W-2 for Box 14.  Then, in the Box 14 "Category" dropdown on TurboTax, select RI TDI.  In Box 15, make sure that RI is the state where the income was earned.  These entries allows TurboTax to give a Mass credit against the RI TDI withholding.  

You can compare this by taking the W-2 Box 17 RI tax withheld amount, subtracting the RI refund (make sure you prepare the RI return first before preparing the MA return for this reason), and then adding the TDI amount in box 14.  This amount should equal the MA credit for taxes paid to another state.  Please see screenshots:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, as long as you enter the correct information into TurboTax when you enter in your W-2.  Enter your information as reported on your W-2 for Box 14.  Then, in the Box 14 "Category" dropdown on TurboTax, select RI TDI.  In Box 15, make sure that RI is the state where the income was earned.  These entries allows TurboTax to give a Mass credit against the RI TDI withholding.  

You can compare this by taking the W-2 Box 17 RI tax withheld amount, subtracting the RI refund (make sure you prepare the RI return first before preparing the MA return for this reason), and then adding the TDI amount in box 14.  This amount should equal the MA credit for taxes paid to another state.  Please see screenshots:

What if my company does not list the tax in box 14, or anywhere on my W2?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

t depends. As a best practice, I would advise having your employer issue you a corrected W2 reporting the RI TDI. in Box 14. 

@bender0006 

Is it acceptable to manually add it to the "taxes paid to other jurisdictions" on my MA file and provide a paystub indicating that I paid it?

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Yes, you could manually add it to your W-2 in Box 14, but since your W-2 entry will not match what your employer issued, hang on to the pay stub that shows you paid it for documentation in case the IRS or Massachusetts questions it. 

You should still request a Corrected W-2 from your employer, and save it for your records when you receive it. 

Click this link for more info on Massachusetts RI TDI.

@bender0006

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies