Solved: Do You Mail W2 from a Different State While Filing...

eschaf

Do You Mail W2 from a Different State While Filing State Taxes?

I filed my federal tax return and would like to mail in my state tax returns because I have a W2 from two different jobs in two different states. I worked most of the year in Arizona and am a resident of Arizona. I worked a short amount of time for a completely different company in California. Do I send a copy of both state's W2 to each state when I mail in my tax information? Or do I just send a copy of the California W2 to California and a copy of Arizona W2 to Arizona?

AnnetteB6

Yes, you only need to attach each specific state's W-2 to that state's tax return.

There are other details within the returns that will indicate that a portion of your total income is being attributed to another state.  You do not need to substantiate that by sending all W-2s to both states.

Pay close attention to the forms that are printed for mailing.  Extra copies of your Federal return may be printed to be mailed with the state returns.  Also, if you are claiming a credit for taxes paid to another state on your AZ resident return, then a copy of the CA return may be printed to be mailed with the AZ return.  

@eschaf

DawnC

You don't need to mail them; you can e-file both state returns, TurboTax will include all necessary documents if you e-file.   Your situation is common, so you should e-file if possible to avoid any processing delays.   However, if you wish to mail the returns, TurboTax will print out instructions when you do which will list everything you need to include and the appropriate mailing addresses.

You need to include any W-2 forms that have that state's withholdings on them in Boxes 15-20.  

eschaf

I already submitted my federal return through a different website so unfortunately now I cannot submit my state returns on TurboTax since I cannot submit my federal return with out it being denied. The best option seems to be to mail in my state returns.

So I only submit the W2 that has the taxes for that specific state? Even though my gross adjusted income shows the sum of both incomes, I only need to provide the W2 for the state in which I paid taxes not both W2s to match the gross adjusted income? Just a little confused because the directions provided by TurboTax are nonspecific and just say attach the W2(s).

AnnetteB6

@eschaf