turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

do i need to file state taxes in Tennessee

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

TENNESSEE    TN does not have a personal income tax.  It has a flat rate “Hall Tax” on interest and dividends.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TomD8
Level 15

Tennessee only taxes interest and dividend income that exceeds $1,250 ($2,500 if married filing jointly).

There is no return to file unless you had interest and dividend income exceeding those amounts.  

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Probably not - Tennessee does not have a state income tax on wages (or most other income such as  pensions, investment gains, etc.) but they do have a flat tax that applies to income earned from interest and dividends.

This tax does not apply to the first $1,250 of income reported on each individual return or the first $2,500 of joint income reported on a jointly filed return. Any person 65 years of age or older having a total annual income below specific limits is completely exempt from the tax. 

See Exemptions and Deductions  for the income limits

If you are subject to this tax, the necessary form is available through  the TN state tax interview in TurboTax, 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies