turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file a California 541 Fiduciary Return?

I'm doing the taxes for an Estate. Decedent was a resident of CA, all beneficiaries are residents of CA, and 99% of the income is from rental real estate in Idaho. The remaining 1% of income is interest and dividends totaling $358 from a stock (Payer's state = KY) and an interest in a partnership (Partnership's state = TX). The registration of the stock and the interest in the partnership should have been transferred to one of the beneficiaries but that was not done until 2020. 

The estate distributed all income to the beneficiaries. TurboTax Business informed me that I needed to file an ID fiduciary return (not supported by the software but I figured it out on my own) but did not say anything about California. I also did the same tax return in Intuit's ProConnect Tax app (online), where it generated an Idaho fiduciary return but not a California one.

I see the CA FTB says the following about who should NOT file a Form 541: Do not file Form 541 if there are no California fiduciaries, California noncontingent beneficiaries, or California sourced income.

So ... do I need to file CA 541?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I chatted with a person at the CA FTB. He said that I DO have to file a CA 541 return "Based on this bullet alone. •The decedent was a California resident at the time of death."

Edit (2020-08-06): I also spoke with someone from the FTB over the phone and they confirmed that I do need to file a CA 541. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I chatted with a person at the CA FTB. He said that I DO have to file a CA 541 return "Based on this bullet alone. •The decedent was a California resident at the time of death."

Edit (2020-08-06): I also spoke with someone from the FTB over the phone and they confirmed that I do need to file a CA 541. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies