Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sgdross

Do I file a NJ tax return in addition to my GA return, or just the GA return if I collected unemployment insurance from NJ for two months while a resident of GA?

I was a non-resident in NJ, and a partial year resident in GA, but did earn income other than unemployment while in GA.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

Do I file a NJ tax return in addition to my GA return, or just the GA return if I collected unemployment insurance from NJ for two months while a resident of GA?

If NJ unemployment compensation was your only income earned in NJ, then you are not required to file a NJ tax return solely because of this income.

Here is a link to the NJ Division of Taxation web site, regarding the taxability of NJ unemployment compensation:  http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit12.shtml

You'll note that Unemployment Compensation appears as part of a list under the following heading:  Certain items of income are not subject to New Jersey income tax and should not be included when determining whether you must file a New Jersey return.

If there are additional details regarding your residency in NJ that you haven't mentioned here and which could affect your filing requirements, then you'll want to check out their web site at the above link.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ThomasM

If NJ unemployment compensation was your only income earned in NJ, then you are not required to file a NJ tax return solely because of this income.

Here is a link to the NJ Division of Taxation web site, regarding the taxability of NJ unemployment compensation:  http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit12.shtml

You'll note that Unemployment Compensation appears as part of a list under the following heading:  Certain items of income are not subject to New Jersey income tax and should not be included when determining whether you must file a New Jersey return.

If there are additional details regarding your residency in NJ that you haven't mentioned here and which could affect your filing requirements, then you'll want to check out their web site at the above link.

sgdross

Thank you! That was exactly the information I was looking for!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies