turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jr-3ftft

Do i claim two states of residence if I live part-time at college in another state during the school year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Do i claim two states of residence if I live part-time at college in another state during the school year?

It depends. If you earned money in the state where you attend college, you may need to file a state tax return.

However, your state of residency doesn't change while you are away from home at school. Usually your state of residency is the place you intend to be your permanent home. You’re not living in the state for a temporary purpose. It’s the place you return to after a vacation, business assignment, or away at school.

You may need to file a state income tax return in your home state, depending on your income and if you paid any federal and/or state income taxes. 

If you need additional information about your state's residency and state tax return filing requirements, you can contact your state's Department of Revenue through the following link: State Departments of Revenue

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Still confused. My daughter attends school in Michigan but is our dependent and we live in Indiana (she lives here during the summer and on breaks). She earned money in Michigan while at college, but not in Indiana. Does she file IN and MI? Is she considered a part resident of both? Help!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies