Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Disable state portion of Turbotax

OK.  How do I disable, turnoff, or delete the state portion of TurboTax?  I don't have a state income tax.  I had to  file a state return for Colorado 10 years ago and Turbortax keeps downloading Colorado every year since then.  What a PIA.  Wastes my time and takes up additional computer space for no reason at all.  Who knows where else where else it is sending my data.  This is going to be the last year that I use Turbotax if the State portion cannot be shutoff.  Thanks for the help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do you mean you have been using the CD/download for all these years?  Since once upon a time you used the state program for CO, the desktop software is going to include it as your "free" state program.  But you do not have to download it---so it is not taking up any space on your computer.   You can just ignore it if you do not need to file a CO return.   Do you now live in a different state with no state income tax?   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

To remove your state information in TurboTax Online: 

1. Open TurboTax Online
  2. Select  Tax Home in the left pane
  3. In the left pane, select the dropdown to the right of State Taxes
  4. Select  Prepare State
  5. Page through any screens until you get to Status of your state returns
  6. Select the trashcan icon to the right of your listed state
  7. In the If you delete your [state] return, all of your data will be lost. Do you want to delete this return? popup, select the Delete button

Do you mean you have been using the CD/download for all these years?  Since once upon a time you used the state program for CO, the desktop software is going to include it as your "free" state program.  But you do not have to download it---so it is not taking up any space on your computer.   You can just ignore it if you do not need to file a CO return.   Do you now live in a different state with no state income tax?   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for the reply.  Yep.  "...all these years".  I don't recall Turbotax asking if I wanted to download Colorado.  Thinking that it's been downloading it automatically.   I'll pay more attention this year.  At this time my state does not have an income tax.  Sales and property yes, but no income tax.  I'm getting ready to install 2023's CD and was trying to get a bit ahead asking how to disable the state portion if possible.  If I can't do that. then next year I will be using a different vendor's product.

See this thread (scroll down) for a way to try to delete unneeded state programs from updating.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/delete-extra-state-from-tax-file/00/1194434

But it will probably come back.  The only way for sure is to move to another computer.

Thanks for the reply John, but that wasn't my question.  I'm not "deleting" anything because I don't file for Colorado.  Haven't for had to for 10 years, but Turbotax keeps asking me if I want to start my return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies