turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jawkatb

Where do I enter Virginia 529 contributions on VA 2017 Taxes? There is no where to enter this in General Info or Credits and taxes sections.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SamiaI
Employee Tax Expert

Where do I enter Virginia 529 contributions on VA 2017 Taxes? There is no where to enter this in General Info or Credits and taxes sections.

In the Income section of the State Taxes interview, you will be directed to a page with the heading, "Here's the income that Virginia handles differently" See Screen Shot below.

Scroll down to "Education" . Under Education, the Virginia College Savings Prepaid Tuition (Section 529) Plan is listed.  Click on the Start button for the Virginia 529 Plan, Answer the interview questions, and indicate what type of plan you have, and indicate you made contributions in 2017.

This worked for me -- this is the process you follow even if you have a Virginia Invest Plan (Not prepaid) -- you get the option to list any VA 529 contributions, including for the Invest plan, under this option.

A note to TurboTax -- this is confusing for VA residents because it looks like this option is only for listing contributions to prepaid plans; the option below it, which looks like a more obvious choice for Invest participants, only refers to income from VA529 plans. I spent 40 minutes trying to figure this out. Not intuitive! Please update if possible. (3/4/18)

This did not work for me.  It only allows for distributions from a 529.  I only have contributions to a 529 so it tells me that none is shown in my Federal.  I tried the Education link in the Credits and Taxes section but it will only allow for contributions up to the amount of your State refund; which is also not what I am looking for.  Is there another fix or solution?!
peninsula

Claim VA529 contributions you have already made in the tax year on VA Schedule ADJ line 8 using code 104. If you are making more contributions to existing plan(s) with your tax return, fill out the information on VA Schedule VAC.
Do NOT use Schedule VAC to report prior contributions made during the tax year. The VA tax helpline rep I spoke to told me to do this, but it will cause you to pay for EXTRA VA529 contributions when you file your return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies