Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bill29

California return - Forcing to check "Single Member LLC box"

Using the TT California Return and obtained an error.  We are a two member LLC but during the CA return check it keeps issuing an error that is forcing me to check "SIngle Member LLC box" for Form 568 p1-4 (Single Member LLC box SMLLC disregarded entity election check box must be checked).  Somehow it thinks we are a single member LLC (SMLLC) when we are not.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I encountered the same problem. What I found was that somehow the LLC had been marked as disregarded on last year's return. What I had to do is go into TT 2017 and amend the return to NOT check U(1) "disregarded" etc.  Then (unfortunately) I had to start the entire process of preparing my 2018 return all over again, this time identifying with the newly modified 2017 TT tax file.  Once I got to the California review, I was asked to clarify whether this was a single member LLC once again ("the box must be checked") but found that now I was being prompted because just below it the single owner "type" box under "Single Member LLC Information and Consent" (i.e. "individual", "C Corporation" etc.) had to be unchecked. After I unchecked the single owner type box, and ensured U(1) was unchecked, and ensured the worksheet did not include any indication this was a single member LLC, it passed the error check and I was able to e-file.  Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I encountered the same problem. What I found was that somehow the LLC had been marked as disregarded on last year's return. What I had to do is go into TT 2017 and amend the return to NOT check U(1) "disregarded" etc.  Then (unfortunately) I had to start the entire process of preparing my 2018 return all over again, this time identifying with the newly modified 2017 TT tax file.  Once I got to the California review, I was asked to clarify whether this was a single member LLC once again ("the box must be checked") but found that now I was being prompted because just below it the single owner "type" box under "Single Member LLC Information and Consent" (i.e. "individual", "C Corporation" etc.) had to be unchecked. After I unchecked the single owner type box, and ensured U(1) was unchecked, and ensured the worksheet did not include any indication this was a single member LLC, it passed the error check and I was able to e-file.  Hope that helps.
bill29

Chris - this augments what you wrote - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4674074-turbo-tax-business-2018-california-llc-module-error-form-5...> ... make sure there are no entries in "Single Member LLC Information and Consent Section"
bill29

Chris - this augments what you wrote - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4674074-turbo-tax-business-2018-california-llc-module-error-form-5...> ... make sure there are no entries in "Single Member LLC Information and Consent Section"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies