turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

suki

Can't e-file because TurboTax is unable to locate attachment.

During the e-file process when I click on "Transmit Returns Now" I get a Turbotax error message that says: "We can't file your return because we are unable to locate the attachment at . Please go back and re-attach it. Then try e-filing again".

This error is happening for my MN State tax return. For MN I am filing "Resident" but I have two other non-resident state tax returns - WI and MI. Both of these as well as the Federal return were transmitted successfully.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies
dwtoby

how is this problem fixed?

Earlier while working on your tax return, you were prompted to 'attach' a PDF to your return as required for your tax return. Attaching 'registers' the file location with TurboTax so that later, when efiling, it can retrieve the document and send along with the tax file. The error you are seeing is usually due to TurboTax not being able to locate the previously selected file. Be sure not to move, rename or delete the file so that it is available to the program when you efile.

Ruben11

Can't efile return because error says turbotax can't locate an attachment on desktop, i don't have any attachments!

You say - "Earlier while working on your tax return, you were prompted to 'attach' a PDF to your return as required for your tax return"   How do I know what that attachment should be?  Do I need to go thru my entire Federal and State returns to find it?  Is there a faster way.  I am using the Download version and filing three states with my Federal.

Mf7kb9

I get this error also when attempting to transmit my state returns for NY and CT. 
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

we can’t  e file because we are unable to locate attachment at.  

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

At this point, I would either contact phone support to see if they can pinpoint your specific issue or mail in your MN return. It is hard for us in community to troubleshoot your return without actually seeing it.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I got the same error message ""We can't file your return because we are unable to locate the attachment at . Please go back and re-attach it. Then try e-filing again".

Where should I go back and attach any necessary files?

sameers
Returning Member

i cant file NY because of same error. Turbotax is telling me to mail my return,

renrutjp

I have just successfully e-filed Fed and AZ. and am getting same error msg for NY. NY mandates e-filing (except for some  >$100K incomes. Filing by mail is no an option for me. This could be influenced by NY Form 203 where a fax or image signature requirement comes in to play, but is not addressed by TT in the prep steps. I don't want to research and buy another software packet this week, but maybe have little choice - TT please respond!!

Ignore the message from turboTax that NY return must be e-Filed.

Visit NY revenue website to obtain the mailing address for a paper NY state tax return.

How was this corrected?  I have the same issue and I haven't received a response. 

It appears to be an issue with the NY state filing. I tried to e-file Federal, NJ, and NY, and got the same error message. Then went back to file Fed and NJ (WITHOUT NY) and it worked. 

I went back and reviewed NY state return step-by-step twice and was not prompted to attach any PDF.

This appears to be a(nother) turbotax glitch. At the very least it should say which file/attachment is missing. 

(I thought it might relate to filling out form I-203-A (non-resident business allocation schedule), but that did not fix the issue).  

wihuang
Returning Member

Encountered the same issue too.  Was able to efile Federal and PA state returns, but NY non-residential return did not go through.  TurboTax never promoted for any file attachment prior to efiling transmit button.

Called TurboTax twice, gone through the automated voice hell, the first customer service lady dropped the call after a few minutes, the second one seemed to work at home with kids crying in the background and computer screen frozen, so she dropped my call as well.

I am going to mail it in tomorrow.  Anyone has a more robust software to recommend for next year?

[ update: removed, not a solution ]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies