Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ahoinsky

Can I have two state returns NJ and PA?

I Live in NJ.  I worked in PA for two different employers, one withheld PA taxes and the other NJ taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If the PA taxes withheld were state taxes (found in Box 17 of the PA state line), then yes, you will file two state returns.  Since NJ and PA have a reciprocal agreement, you will file a PA return with $0 income to receive a full refund of PA state taxes withheld, and NJ then taxes all of the income to the state.

However, if the PA taxes are only local taxes, you will only file a NJ resident return.  Again, because of the reciprocal agreement, you will only pay state taxes in New Jersey.  But you can get a credit for PA local taxes paid on your NJ state return.  

Please comment what you see on your W2, and I'll be happy to give additional instruction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Scott Do

I am in the same situation. I downloaded the PA return which I may not need. once that was installed, the credit for Phila taxes disappeared from my return, greatly reducing my NJ refund? How do I fix this?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Once the Pennsylvania return is filed with zero income, you will get back the state taxes withheld. 

Then, the New Jersey credit for paying tax to Philadelphia should be restored.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies