Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

manuxx1

Can I file with my U.S address and at the same time letting know the IRS I'm living abroad?. (I lived and worked most of 2017 in NY but moved to Spain in August)

I know I have to pay my U.S/NY  taxes for 2017 but my main concern is that if I put my current address (here is Spain) I could miss any communication from the IRS (I want to let the IRS know that I'm not living in NY anymore.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ToddL

Can I file with my U.S address and at the same time letting know the IRS I'm living abroad?. (I lived and worked most of 2017 in NY but moved to Spain in August)

You can and should use your foreign address when filing your U.S. tax return. Enter this information in the "Mailing Address and Phone Number" section of "Personal Info". 

Hint: You have to check the "Other" box the enter a foreign address, and you have to enter a U.S. phone number. 

The IRS asks for your phone number and mailing address in case they have a question about your return (this is rare). They will not, however, call an international phone number.

In order to complete and e-file your return, you can enter the phone number of a relative or friend in the U.S,, or a "dummy number" (800-555-1212). The  IRS will identify your entry as a placeholder number - if they have questions, they will mail them to you at the foreign address.

vitop2
Returning Member

I live in France having sold my home in US. I I no longer have US address,,,how do I complete your personal info section in Turbo Tax ?

Thank you

@vitop2 wrote:

I live in France having sold my home in US. I I no longer have US address,,,how do I complete your personal info section in Turbo Tax ?

Thank you

Enter your foreign address in the personal info section.  This is the address were the IRS can contact you by mail if ever necessary.

Use Foreign Address from the dropdown instead of US Address

JayNyc

Please help help help help, I am a flight attendant and I filed 2018,2019 taxes with my foreign address because I commute, however, i have not got my stimulus check yet and i did have in both taxes my direct deposit for my US bank acct. i filed my taxes in march 09 and still have not got an answer from them with either my return and the stimulus check! What can I do? I try the “my payment” in the irs website but it does not let me in at all thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies