Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I e-file California state tax return with Schedule C and Form 8829? I have done this in the past but Turbo Tax says that I cannot now.

I filed with FreeTaxUSA last week and was able to efile my State with no problem. TurboTax orginally posed on this thread that State of CA was not accepting efile this year for Schedule C or Form 8829 and we needed to mail it in. What they forgot to mention ( or ommitted for whatever reason) was that the forms where not ready on TurboTax ONLY.

Can I e-file California state tax return with Schedule C and Form 8829? I have done this in the past but Turbo Tax says that I cannot now.

To TurboTax Rep.

If form 8892 is e-file supported by your competing vendors at the moment, would TurboTax be supporting this form to be e-file down the road (who knows, maybe a few weeks later?) for 2020 tax year? The information that you have given so far vs what is show on the online program (not e-file support at all) are very confusing at best.

And the fact that multiple reps coming on here giving answers in many different directions, is just like throwing gas into the fire.

There are many reasons why people want to e-file their tax this year. But the main one is it is fast (to submit and receive money), efficient, and hassle free (who wants to run around printing a hard copy and race to the post office?)

2020 was a harsh year for everyone and many people are counting on tax return money to extend the life line of their family. So, many are looking to e-file early this year. You sure bet that anything that causing any delay in e-filing will generate a lot of drama and anger from your customers this year.

At least, what you could do is to be clear and be transparent on when/what feature will be roll out in your future update or what feature will be left out this year for e-file (does 8892 will be left out too?). So that, your loyal TurboTax customers could make a sound decision whether to stick with you or look for alternative vendor that could expedite their return this year. I bet a lot of customers would appreciate TurboTax honesty and not holding a hard feeling against you. 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

.  For current information on forms availability please click on the applicable link below:

There are two columns. Print and E-file. 

• If "available" or a date appear in the E-file column, the form is or will be available for e-filing this tax season, hopefully on the target date listed. 
  • If the word "unsupported" appears in the E-File column, it will not be available for e-filing this season. 
  • If a form does not appear in either column, TurboTax does not support that form for tax year 2020.

@TfromSoCal

Thank you very much for your super clear instructions on how to interpret Turbo Tax release/update schedule. This is very useful to so many customers to help them making decision if they should stick and wait Turbo Tax update (for e-file) or moving on to other alternative solution for this tax season. Very appreciated. 

puconghan
Returning Member

The program shows Schedule C form 8829 is not approved for California state efile. I could not find the availability schedule from the link you provided for form 8829 in California state. Can you reply and share some update about this form ?

I want to know at least if this form is planning to be supported this year and/or when it will be available. I never had this issue in the past 5 years with TurboTax ~ this is the first time having a form not approved and blocked my efile.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@puconghan The California Form 8829 is not supported for efile this year.

Click this link for a list of California Forms Availability

If you are not receiving a Home Office Deduction this year, you could Delete Form 8829 from your California return. 

Otherwise, you will need to mail in your return.  Click this link for info on How to Delete a Form in TurboTax Online.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tarltonm
Returning Member

So I think you are telling us that CA is completely a JOKE?  Recall Newsom would seem appropriate.  How many people in CA have a small business, use schedule C and Form 8829?  A VERY large number.  
I am beyond frustrated

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can e-file a CA return that has a Schedule C, but if you take a home office deduction on your Schedule C, even if you use the simplified method, you can't e-file your California return.  The home office deduction is calculated on Form 8829 and as you can see from this list, Form 8829 is not able to be e-filed in California.  :(     @tarltonm

FWIW: When I started  preparing my return in January 2021, I was receiving the error that Form 8829 could not be e-filed for CA.  A couple of weeks later, I was running scenarios about using the Simplified Method instead of actual expenses, which at the time removed the error, but the error returned when switching back to actual expenses.  

Fast forward to mid-February 2021, I was no longer seeing the error when entering either Simplified or Actual BUOH expenses.  Since the cost of removing this form was significant, I decided that the ~$10 USPS Priority Mail fee to mail my CA return was better than losing the deduction and having to pay the $20 CA e-file fee.  

On 2/20/2021, I used used Actual Expenses to calculate BUOH/Form 8829.  I went through all of the steps to e-file Federal and CA State returns without receiving any errors.  On 2/21/2021, I received notice that both the IRS and FTB accepted my e-filed returns.  So, I'm not sure why the TT CA Forms page still reads that Form 8829 is "unsupported" for e-file.  🤷🏻‍

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Click this link for California forms.  Form 8829 still shows as 'Unsupported for Efile.'

You may receive a request later from the California FTB to mail in your Form 8829. 

Click this link for more info on State Forms. 

New tax year, looks like the same problem persists.

"Cannot efile" shows regarding form 8829 on my California State Tax return in Turbo Tax

I talked to two Turbotax Live agents who told me I would have to print / mail my CA tax return.

None of this information was of course disclosed prior to Turbotax asking me to pay $45 for the state return.

Looks like this is a persistent issue that Turbotax knows about, does not disclose, and is not going to fix. What a sham.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies